"Marketers always ask me how to make more or better content and it’s almost always the wrong question. The right question is: How do I get my content in front of the right people.” - Joe Chernov
Blogging is an effective marketing strategy that gets your content in front of the right people. A well-written optimized post can boost your SEO, generate organic traffic to your website, increase leads and boost sales.
Unlike social media posts on platforms like Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram that have a short lifespan based on the algorithms, blogging is a powerful evergreen way to share your voice and build an online presence with readers. Your content showcases your expertise and makes you a source of information related to your specific industry. When it comes to content marketing, a blog post is a crucial touch point that increases the Know, Like and Trust factor. It educates your consumers and helps them make decisions along their buyers' journey. Studies show that businesses that maintain blogs bring in new customers who otherwise would not have heard about the company.
But managing a blog can be overwhelming. There a thousand and one things to take care of. However, whether you’re starting a new business blog or looking to revive an old one, with the right tools and tips, you too can reap the benefits of blogging for business without the overwhelm.
Here are six pointers to simplify setting up and managing a business building blog.
1. Define Your Objectives
Before you start blogging, ask yourself these three important questions:
- Why am I starting a blog?
- How will it benefit my brand?
- How will it benefit my ideal audience?
Your answers to these questions will help you create a strategy with key blogging goals that align with your business objectives. Set specific goals that are realistic no matter where you are in the blogging process.
2. Research About Your Audience.
If your audience is "everyone" chances are your blog will speak to no one. And that is why have to get clear on exactly whom you’re targeting and why they should visit your blog. To attract the ideal audience, you have to understand who they are and what they need. That way you can create content that is both relevant and helpful to them. You can use your customers’ demographics and psychographics, needs, and behaviors to create buyer personas, which will help your content creation.
3. Determine Your Blogging Frequency and Set a Schedule.
Getting clear on your audience and their needs helps you create a plan that answers questions like, how often you will publish new posts and how much time you can commit to content creation? Based on your answers create a content schedule that sets reader expectations and works for you. Because information overload is a thing, many of us deal with, experiment with quantity versus quality. But remember whether you blog weekly, monthly or quarterly, consistency is crucial. And that's where templates, done-for-you planners and editorial Calenders come in handy. They help you to avoid writers' block and procrastination so that you write compelling and engaging content, even on those days where you are not feeling inspired.
4. Write and Publish Compelling Posts.
For your audience to subscribe or keep coming back for more, you want to write posts that they love to read! The way you develop, write and organize content determines whether or not first-time visitors consume your content and become loyal readers or quickly bounce off never to return again.
To write a compelling blog post that is easy to read and digest,
- Focus on the reader benefits.
- Avoid complicated words and write sentences.
- Speak directly to the audience – use “you” in your writing.
- Have short paragraphs for visual appeal and effective impact.
- Break up long posts with headlines and illustrate with images.
- Use bold fonts, bullet points, and italics for emphasis and easy scanning.
5. Offer a Variety Of Content Formats.
Many people automatically think of long articles or blog posts when they hear the word blogging. But content goes way beyond putting together a few paragraphs on a specific topic. There are many formats to deliver valuable, engaging content to your ideal reader. To get you started, here are seven simple ideas from my FREE 31 Content Format Checklist.
- Resource Lists: Everybody loves good resources. Share yours freely.
- Photographs: Easy peasy content. Share a picture. You can add a related story or just write “caption this."
- Quick Tips: Who says you have to write long articles? Share a daily tip that your readers will find valuable.
- Quotes: People love quotes. Compile inspirational ones or some that are relevant to your niche or industry.
- Product Reviews: Your readers will appreciate in-depth and honest reviews of products you use or promote.
- Interviews: Audio, video or text interviews are easy to create. Introduce your audience to different perspectives.
- Screen Capture Video: Share a slide show on your computer, demonstrate software, or do a product walk-through.
6. Give Your Readers Options To Subscribe, Comment and Share Your Content.
"If you build it they'll come" is not a strategy when you publish content. Let people know you have a new blog post and make it easy for your readers to share your content by adding social share buttons on your blog. More shares mean more visibility and organic traffic that grows your audience. You can also drive paid traffic to your posts.
Add sign up forms on every blog post and encourage readers to join your email community. But instead of vague and ho-hum scripts like, "join our list" or "subscribe to our newsletter," tell readers what benefits they'll get when they opt-in. If you have readers in Europe be sure to follow the GDPR guidelines to avoid legal trouble when offering lead magnets.
Based on the blog post goals and objectives always finish off every piece of content with a call to action and encourage your readers to share their thoughts in the comment section.
To apply these simple pointers and improve your workflow, download my free 31 Content Formats Checklist and enjoy creating a variety of blog posts your audience will love!
Ready to attract and engage your ideal audience with blogging? Hire this consultant to optimize your digital content strategy.
Contact me today and let's talk about your goals and objectives.
SHARE THIS POST USING THE ICONS BELOW.
Have your say, share your thoughts below.